Criminal Injuries Compensation Claims

You may be able to make a claim for compensation under the Criminal Injuries Compensation Act 2003 (the Act) if you have been the victim of an offence (or an alleged offence) and were injured and/or experienced a financial loss because of the injury or you are a close relative to a person killed as a result of an offence and you suffer loss.


What is the Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme (CICA) all about?

The Western Australian Government’s Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme (CICA) is designed to compensate victims of crime who have suffered an injury or loss as a result of an offence or alleged offence in WA. The Office of Criminal Injuries Compensation oversees applications for compensation under the Act.

Please note that Anvil Legal can only help you if you have been injured at work in some way.


Am I Eligible To Make A Criminal Compensation Claim?

If you have been the victim of a crime, whilst at work or otherwise, and you were injured you may be entitled to make a Criminal Injuries Compensation claim, however, if you have been the victim of a crime while at work you should follow the procedure following a work injury, and report the matter to the police, first.

The reason for this is that you should be covered by workers’ compensation insurance and if your claim is accepted you will get any weekly payments and medical expenses you are entitled to in a relatively short period of time, unlike criminal injuries compensation.


What Compensation Can I Get?

You may be entitled to claim for pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, travel, the loss of personal items such as clothing and compensation for medical expenses and loss of income.


What is the Maximum Amount Of Compensation?

The maximum amount of compensation payable to victims of an offence after January 2004 is $75,000, however, the amount you can receive will depend on your injuries and any losses you have suffered.

You generally have three years from the date of the offence to make an application for criminal compensation and you normally wouldn’t make it earlier unless you have recovered as much as possible.


Do I Need To Speak to a Criminal Compensation Lawyer?

Yes if this did not come about through work duties. The Criminal Injuries Compensation Department of the Attorney General has plenty of information and you are able to call them and they might help you through it all.


Should I Use A Criminal Compensation Lawyer?

Although you can make an application for criminal compensation yourself, why would you? The risk of getting it wrong and not receiving the compensation you deserve could have a significant impact on your family and finances.

Besides, if we believe you have a valid claim, and it would be in your best interests if we could assist you, we can offer our No Win No Fee Solution*.

To find out whether you are eligible for our No Win No Fee Solution* for criminal compensation claims you can call our office on (08) 6143 5200 or make a FREE Appointment Online Here.

Anvil Legal