What Sort Of Compensation Can I Get?


Following acceptance of your claim (and occasionally prior to acceptance of your claim) you are entitled to receive a weekly payment in place of lost wages or salary. In most circumstance you are entitled to receive the same pay you would have received if you continued working, however, there are some rules that impact on that.


Statutory Expenses is  a term used to try and encompass’s other types of compensation available under the Workers Comp Act.

Medical Treatment

You are entitled to seek treatment from a Doctor of your choice and the insurer/employer cannot force you to see any particular doctor for treatment, but they can for the purposes of an assessment.

The Act requires the insurer to pay reasonable medical expenses and some travel, meals and accommodation.

There are a lot of disputes as to what is ‘reasonable medical expenses’ but we would say that whatever treatment your Doctor advises can generally be taken to be reasonable if it is aimed at treating your injury.

There is a cap on the amount that can be spent on Medical Treatment and it is expressed as a % of the Prescribed Amount, although, in certain circumstances extensions can be sought. You will also find reimbursable Medical Fees are set by the Act and may not cover the entire cost of your treatment in some circumstances.

If you have any concerns as to whether you have been reimbursed correctly or that medical treatment has been refused you should call us on 08 6143 5200/span> or Make a FREE On-line Inquiry Here.

Workplace Rehabilitation

An employer is required to make a return to work plan for you once you have capacity, therefore, you may have been advised that you need to attend a Workplace Rehabilitation Provider to assist with your return to work.

You are entitled to choose a provider of your choice and we would advise that you contact a few and have a chat with them before picking one and letting the insurer know.

There is a cap on the amount of money that can be spent on rehabilitation providers and it is expressed as a percentage of the prescribed amount.

Lump Sum Payments (permanent impairment)

Once an injury has stabilised a medical practitioner can express any residue impairment as a % of a particular item (body part) and schedule 2 of the Act lists injuries and sets out the compensation payable for a permanent impairment calculated by reference to the % impairment.

Accepting a Schedule 2 payment is not something to be done lightly as it will stop any workers compensation benefits and may impact on any common law claim remaining.

If you have been sent to an insurance doctor and subsequently been told that you have a % impairment you are entitled to have an assessment done by a doctor of your choice if you don’t agree with the insurer/employer’s assessment.

Death Benefits

This includes financial assistance for spouse, children or stepchildren who were totally or partially dependent on the worker. In the event there are no dependents the cost of medical attendance and funeral expenses are covered.

What Can You Do To Protect Yourself Now

While the information in these pages is relevant to your claim you could speak to a lawyer obligation free and at no cost instead of spending the next week looking around the web for more concise information.

It’s easy, you can call us on 08 6143 5200 or fill out an enquiry form here and we would be happy to discuss your claim, at no cost to you, over the phone or at your free appointment.

We guarantee that you will not have to pay for your consultation and if you are eligible for our No Win No Fee Solution* (as most work injuries are) we can continue to help you through the life of your claim without you having to pay for our legal advice out of your own pocket.

If you have already spoken to other lawyers about workers compensation and they haven’t been able to take on your claim please give us a call to see if we can help you.

Anvil Legal